Saturday, March 8, 2014

Slice #1 and a Useless Organ

I am going on record saying that so far 2014 has not been a great year.  Since spring is two weeks away I am taking that as a sign that it will change just like the season.  Two weeks ago after lunch I didn’t feel right.  Abdominal pains made it difficult to be comfortable.  After about seven hours the pain subsided, but didn’t completely go away. By the next afternoon I knew that I needed to see the doctor, and by 2:00 on Tuesday I was on my way to surgery to have my gallbladder removed.  There were no gallstones, just a useless organ that wanted out of my body.

There is never a good time for an unplanned surgery, but if one could pick a really bad time it would be right now.  Colorado starts the lovely testing in third grade.  The reading test is in February and the mathematics and writing tests are in March.  Guess what? My surgery was on Day 1 of third grade TCAP Reading Test.  Yes, I was having a CT Scan while my students were taking their first state test!

I am fortunate to work in a school were the test is truly to show what the kids know.  We don’t spend hours doing “test prep”.  Because of this my principal’s only message was get better! 

Through all of this I have learned that the school community is so important to everyone.  The outpouring of offers for help was incredible.  The three-foot get well card and individual cards from my students cheered me up.  Families from my last school brought me lunches last week, and last night a mom and a student from my class drove across town in a snowstorm to deliver a wonderful dinner.

Next week I return to school for half days. I feel like the first day of school all over again.  That nervous feeling of what is the class going to be like.  However, knowing my kids we will be back to normal by the time we get to class at 8:30.



3 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

Ouch! Yes, some years are like that. Hope that you are feeling better and that spring is on its way to you!

Carol said...

Hurray! So glad you are slicing! 2014 is going to get better, it really is!

Loralee said...

Oh my! Glad you are on the mend!