Saturday, March 22, 2014

Slice #4 Flowers

My mother is a talented florist.  She manipulates cut flowers into art.  I was fortunate to grow up in a home filled with flowers.  Throughout the year I surround myself with flowers.  Some may think it is an extravagance, I see it as food for my soul.  Anyhow, this morning I threw out a bunch of flowers; and it made me think of the flowers I received while I was sick.

I’ll be honest I got a lot!  At one point there were four vases in the living room, one in the kitchen and two blooming plants in the dining room. Yes, I had flowers everywhere.  When I returned to school there was a vase and my niece brought another, so even my classroom was filled with blossoms.

Now part of growing up with a florist is the work that goes with it.  I delivered flowers for many years, and I remember one woman that received multiple flowers arrangements a week.  Each time I went to her house her joyful reaction to the flowers made me happy.  Unfortunately, there were others that would say,“Why would they waste their money?  Flowers just die!”  I would think yes they do, but spending the day with the flowers you have is lovely!


So what exactly is the meaning of my Slice of Life?  Well, I guess it is simple we need to spend time with people and things that make us happy.  Be it a cappuccino, watching kids play soccer, having a wonderful meal, or a vase of flowers we are on earth for a reason.  That being to enjoy what it has to offer!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Totally agree with you! Let's do a Botanic Gardens date sometime soon!

Loralee said...

How wonderful it must have been growing up with flowers around you!

Ms. Yingling said...

I'm sort of in the "but they die!" Category, but do like carnations because they last a couple of weeks.